4/14/17 MTC Week 1 - 1st Three Days, Temple, Nine Weeks-- not Six or Eight!

Bonjour everyone!
So to clear up any confusion, "soeur" is in fact pronounced SIR. Every time I hear my name, Soeur Sellers, I feel like a knight. ;) Soeur Kendall's awesome and also going to Tahiti. In our district we have 10 Missionaries (4 sisters and 6 elders). The other sisters are going to Leon France and won't stay for the full NINE WEEKS WE ARE HERE! We are doing six weeks of French and three weeks of Tahitian. 

Everything is awesome here! The dork dot came off as soon as possible... Pretty much everyone would say, "Welcome to the MTC," and it slowly drove me insane. ;) For those of you who don't know, a dork dot is a little round orange sticker they put on your name tag for the first day you are here so people know that you are new and can help you. 

We have made a couple mistakes (going to lunch at the wrong time and getting lost pretty much all the time), but all in all it's been a great experience. So all of my books weigh like 20 lbs (take that dad!) and I'm not sure how I'm going to fit everything when the time comes, but I don't have to worry about that for a while. So far I've seen Sister Harris (a sister I met in the MTC), Bailey Wells (someone in my stake), and Jacob Burke (someone from my seminary class). It is such a small world!!! 

We're teaching our first "investigator" today... IN FRENCH. That's right, three days in and we have to try to teach someone the gospel. 

Last night we met with our branch president and he just went over rules and encouraged us. I think my favorite quote of the night was "Sisters, watch what you do." and "Elders, they don't love you!" while talking about avoiding flirting. 

President & Sister Martino
Provo Missionary Training Center
From Denton, Texas
Last night was a little bonkers because Soeur Kendall needed to get her temple recommend and her mom had sent it, but we weren't sure how to get our mail. So at 9:00 at night we were running around trying to find the front desk. While looking we were able to meet the President here. We talked for a little while and he seemed more than a little jealous of our mission call. ;) His wife, Sister Martino, had the same reaction when we met her a couple moments later. Anyway, we found the front desk and we were able to go with a security guard to the mail room. We had no clue where her package was or even what size it was so we had to go through a couple shelves before we found it. 

We went to the temple this morning and it was so cool! To be honest I thought it was kinda plain from the outside, but the inside was gorgeous!!! If anyone ever gets the chance to get breakfast there, you have to try the omelette. Walking home Soeur Kendall saw her sister-in-law who works here at the MTC. It was awesome to meet her! 

The gym at the MTC is actually a really cool place. I thought I would hate it, but there really is something for everyone there. 

Sorry there's not much info! Being here only three days really limits things. 

In closing I just wanted to share something a little more on the spiritual side. While the president of our branch was speaking last night he asked how long we had been preparing for a mission. Some responded that they had been preparing for 5 months. Others said their whole lives. He said we were all wrong and told us that we had been preparing for this moment for thousands of years. That was such a good reminder for me that while I might feel like I don't know anything, I know more than I realize. While I don't feel like I am ready I am more prepared than I know. I know that this is true for all of us. We might feel like we are in over our heads, but if we could remember where we were before this life nothing would stand in our way. 
Thanks everyone for reading such a boring email... Hopefully I'll have more to tell you next week! I love you all!!!


Most of the French Sisters in the MTC


Some Elders from Our District


Looking out from the Provo Temple

Dorm Room

Comments