5/26/17 MTC Week 7 - Learning 2 Opposite Languages - Insights, Tahitian good for knowing it one day...

​Iaorana! 

Tahitian vs. French - Calling Other Missionaries to Repentance
So last week I spelled it "yorana" because that's how it's pronounced, but that means "hello" in Tahitian! We started Tahitian this week a wow am I in over my head. So with French at least I had a couple years in high school and it is really similar to English, but Tahitian is nothing like English... Like at all. The grammar is really simple though, so that makes my job easy compared to French, but none of the words are close to English. Take repentance for example, in Tahitian it's Tatarahapa. For a couple days now we've been using that as a greeting for people who don't know Tahitian. They think we're saying hello when we're in fact calling them to repentance.  Pronunciation is also really simple. YOU PRONOUNCE EVERYTHING. Almost the complete opposite of French. ;) Anyway, if you have an extra minute remember me in your prayers!!! I'll need all the help I can get. On a brighter note I caught myself translating a song I had stuck in my head into French without realizing it! At least I kind of get French! Before the older Tahitian missionaries left I asked when they felt like French clicked for them and they all said when they started learning Tahitian because they realized how much French they actually knew. ;) 

Missionaries Leave
So this week 33 missionaries left to Paris, Leon, Toronto, and Tahiti, including half of our district. We're missing them so much!!! We went from the biggest district to be tied for smallest. :( Every time we walk into class it feels like a part of us is missing. Which makes sense because in French you don't say "I miss you" you say "You are missing from me," and believe me, we're feeling that right now. 

Missionaries Arrive
We got 23 new missionaries! I thought we would be released as STL's (Sister Training Leaders) because our zone leaders left this week, but we're still here! I'm so glad! I love being an STL. Our branch president, President Mackay, was just released though. We are going to miss him lots, but he's going on a mission with his wife to California, so that helps soften the blow a little. 

Elder Renlund and The Sacrament
So I heard from another Apostle this week! Elder Renlund came and spoke to us!!! The coolest part was at the end they wanted to shake EVERY MISSIONARY'S HAND. It took like 45 minutes, but when I went up to shake his hand his wife started speaking to me in French! Just a little because we didn't have much time, but it was so cool! During his talk though, his wife spoke with him at the pulpit the whole time. They gave their talk together and if that's not relationship goals I don't know what is. They spoke about the Sacrament and how important of an ordinance it is. It's so important we do it every week so we can be cleansed and start over every week. I think in my life I've been too lax about taking the Sacrament because it's always been a part of my life. I'm going to be better about giving it the attention it deserves and hopefully by doing so I can come closer to God!

Being On a Sisters Panel
This Sunday Soeur Kendall and I have the opportunity to be on a panel of sisters who get to talk to the new sister missionaries this week. We get to talk about dressing and acting like missionaries. We already got to eat lunch with a member of the MTC Relief Society Presidency and it was so cool. They have such awesome spirits and you can tell that they were called to the MTC for a reason.  

TRC with Frere Parson
So we had TRC on Tuesday... In Tahitian... the DAY AFTER WE STARTED LEARNING TO SPEAK IT. It actually went really well and both of our people who we were speaking to said our Tahitian was very good for one day. I'm sure they say that to everyone, but it really helped boost our confidence. For those of you who don't know what TRC is, it's where we get to speak with either returned missionaries or someone fluent in that language and we give two 20 minute lessons. We taught Frere Parson who looks like he's in his 60's and he still remembers how to speak Tahitian after serving there a gazillion years ago! It just goes to show that if you continue to use your language and practice it can bless you your whole life! 

"Open Your Mouth"
So on Sunday Soeur Kendall and I went to a video of a talk by Elder Holland called "Open Your Mouth" and it was so inspiring! My Uncle Christopher recommended it because he was able to watch it and I'm glad we went to see it! The biggest thing that stood out to me was that words are power. It was through words the world was created and it is by words we express ourselves. He referenced Enoch and it is said about him that when he spake the word of the Lord the earth trembled. When he spake mountains moved and rivers changed their course. He related this back to us by saying that if we do not open our mouths when we get a prompting the adversary wins. Words are our power just like Enoch and God, so if we are too afraid to speak we are giving Satan what he wants. Right now in lessons I am so afraid to open my mouth because I know like 20 words total in Tahitian, but I'm learning that even if I don't know how to say what I'm being prompted to say I should still try my best. When I give my best in doing what the Lord asks of me he can make up the difference. I just need to give my best! I know that works for everything in life, not just missionary work. If you do your best to open your mouth the Lord will bless you with miracles in your life. Don't be afraid! 

Anyway, I love you all!!!





Comments