6/19/17 Week 1, Tahitian Welcome, Going Far Out, New favorite phrase "It's a Party"

Iorana Everyone!

The LAX Airport - Luggage Craziness
I made it to Tahiti without dying thanks to all your prayers I'm sure. :) So... Where do I even start??? We made it to the LAX airport even though we only had 6 week visas, so they pretty much said that the plane to Tahiti wouldn't take us but to go to LAX anyway and trust that the church would figure it out. Good thing Soeur Kendall had a phone and was able to talk to the church and remind them that we needed to get to Tahiti. So that was a party. Also, about an hour before we were supposed to board we realized that my luggage had only made it to the LAX airport when it was supposed to go all the way to Tahiti, so I ran back through security to figure it out and barely made it back in time to board! Talk about luck! Little did I know then that I would not get my luggage until Thursday and I had not brought a carry on because I could fit it all in those two suitcases. Good thing Soeur Kendall is around my same size and had an extra toothbrush. SHOUTOUT TO THE BEST COMPANION EVER! I'm going to miss her tons!
Breakfast in the Mission Home in Pape'ete on the island of Tahiti


Lindsay with her Mission President and His Wife, The Bize's from France
They have 2 weeks left on their three year mission.

Sister Sellers with a Picture of her Trainer, Sister Wissocq.
Why a picture? Because she is on one of the most outer islands in the mission!

Training and Going to the Outer Most Island for Sisters
Anyway, we made it to Tahiti and were met by our Assistants to the President and some Senior Missionaries. They were so nice and helped us figure out our Visa situation. The next morning we met our Mission President, President Bize, who is so nice! And I got called to an Island called Huahine. It is the farthest island from Tahiti that sisters are allowed to go and is probably the only district in the world where 2 elders and 2 sisters serve on the same island. I was also told that my new companion Soeur Wissocq was from France and did not speak English, so that video is of me freaking out in the airport on my way to Huahine. Also, in a lot of missions you can't send videos, but you can here! I think I'll be doing that a lot more just so you can see more of Tahiti. (We didn't receive a video...the internet connection is too poor) Plot twist, I brought the wrong cord with me to the computer so I can't upload videos or pictures until later today... SORRY! That's really unfortunate! I'll try and send them today before I can't email anymore.


A French-speaking Companion and Many To Teach

Church Building in Huahine
Soeur Wissocq is awesome and speaks more English than I do French, so we're able to communicate just fine. Also, Huahine is the best!!! It's the area missionaries pray to get sent to because everyone here is sooo nice to the missionaries and the members are really involved with missionary work. We're pretty busy all the time because we have so many investigators in this area, and they're all so awesome! One in particulars name is Paul and he can't speak or hear, so we communicate using hand motions and pictures. It's tough, but he's so sweet and we think he'll be getting baptized in the next couple weeks.

A Father's Day Party
Friday night we had a party to celebrate Fathers Day! P.S. Happy Fathers Day dad! I love you so much and am glad you have been such a good influence on me!!! LOVE YOU! Anyway, we had this party at the church and everyone brought really good food, there was dancing (of course, it's Tahiti), Karaoke, and lots of other activities. Tahitians know how to party!

Huahinan Pizza
A Priesthood Restoration Celebration
Saturday we had another Ward party in celebration of the Priesthood being restored. They even had a cake that translated said "Happy Birthday of the Priesthood." Apparently it's a fairly big holiday here and even nonmembers know what day we celebrate it. This party was on the beach and if you can imagine a perfect Tahitian party, this was it. There were games, contests to see who could catch the most fish. kids swimming in the ocean, and people playing Ukulele and singing. It was a little magical. Also, the food was FABULOUS. We weren't very sanitary and rinsed our dishes in the ocean and reused them... That weirded me out a little, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Or I'll catch some rare parasite and die. ;)

RANDOM FACTS - ANIMALS EVERYWHERE AND GOOD GRAPEFRUIT!
Anyway, that's pretty much this week! It's been crazy and I can'[t really speak the language, but everyone here is so loving and accepting I don't feel like an outcast for not knowing the language. I'm still part of their Utuafare (family)! Now it's time for... (drumroll please) RANDOM FACTS ABOUT TAHITI AND OR MY LIFE!!!!

1. Roosters are actually the devil in disguise. You'll be sleeping minding your own business when they come right outside your window and scream in your ear. And when you eat 6 of them come and stare at you through the window. They're really creepy.

2. Pamplemousse is probably the best thing on this planet. It's a huge grapefruit that is not as tart. I am in love.

3. It rains cats and dogs here. It's the only explanation I have for how many stray animals there are. They come to beg when we are eating, too, so I'll be chowing on a pamplemousse and all of the sudden there are 3 dogs, 6 cats, and 4 roosters staring at me through the window. It's a party.
Actual Picture of Local Wildlife
Model Animals...not Real Huahine Animals

Anyway, I love you all! Thanks for listening to my random rants about Tahiti and French! Remember that God loves you and is aware of your situation!

Na na!




Here is picture found on the internet to give you a feel for what Lindsay is describing; just insert a wild and islandic scene...




http://ldsellerstahiti.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. I Love, Love, love her amazing g attitude and this fun letter! She is already an outstanding missionary !

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my childhood friends...she and her husband were mission president there many years ago. I love hearing about Tahiti! I know Lindsay will love her mission there and I love hearing about life there. I'm sure she'll be a great missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, It's amazing how far the gospel reaches and brings people together. We should celebrate the gospel more here in Colrado

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment