6/2/17 MTC Week 8 - New MTC Building, Tahitian Words, Giving a Talk

Hey everyone!!!
New MTC Building
Lindsay will have classes there beginning June 5th
"Match the Message" Panel and  the Addition to the MTC Complex
So this week was crazy! We've started teaching completely in Tahitian and I'm still hopelessly lost (help). Soeur Kendall and I were on a panel for match the message which was so cool! I might've messed up a little bit, but c'est la vie. We also had the opportunity to tour a new building we'll be using starting Monday for class! It's such a pretty building and the reason we got to see it early was because they wanted us to model looking like missionaries and using the new building. It was really fun! We mostly just walked up and down stairs a lot, but now I can say I was a model while in the MTC! No idea what they're going to be doing with the pictures... I'll let you know when I find out.


Sisters Superimposed on New Stairs
Pretty Much the Best Staircase Ever

Learning to Communicate - Tahitian's Definition of "Family":)
So... Teaching... This week we may or may not have thought we committed someone to baptism only to find out we didn't. Don't worry, we cleared up all the confusion and she's agreed to baptism! Just so you can fully appreciate how different Tahitian is, I want to show you a couple sentences. Here te Atua ia tatou.-which directly translates to Loves God to us. So not only are the words completely different, but the grammar is also completely different. So something cool that Tahitian does is they just mash words together to create other words. So family (Utuafare) translates to punishment house, and computer (uiraroro) translates to electric brain. Who knew??? To die (pohe) is to make sit or make stay, and To be Resurrected (ti'afaahou) is to make stand again. Anyway, Tahitian is pretty much the coolest language even if it is difficult to learn!

Johnny Lingo Shown in MTC
We may or may not have watched Johnny Lingo during free time this week. It's pretty impossible not to when Mahana means "day" and we say it all the time to set up appointments. For those unfortunate souls who don't know what Johnny Lingo is, there's a character named Mahana. Most quoted line from the movie is "Mahana, you ugly, get down from that tree!" or "Eight cows! You cheat me, she is worth 10!" Moral of the story y'all should go and watched Johnny Lingo. That movie is pretty much gold. 

Called to Give a Talk - The Lord Has Great Things in Store for Each of Us
Last Sunday I was asked to give a 5 minute talk in French. Something our zone does is they'll give you a topic to speak on and everyone prepares a talk, but no one knows who will be speaking. I thought I was off the hook when he announced my name over the pulpit because he had already called one Elder and two sisters to speak, but I was the last to go. I thought it went really well! I had a feeling the night before that i would speak, so I spent a lot more time on it then I normally do. That night we went and saw Joseph Smith, and can I just say what a powerful movie!!! I think I was crying for 80% of it. Something that I thought was pretty cool was he was calling Brigham Young to be an Apostle and he said "The Lord has great things in store for you, things you can't even imagine," and it just made me think of all of you! The Lord has great things for us to do in this life, things we might not think we are even capable of, but with God all things are possible! 

Travel Plans
I got my travel plans today! I leave June 12th (I will have been in the MTC for exactly 2 months) at 4:50 AM. I have a six hour layover in LA and then straight to Papeete! By the time I get there it will be 1:30 AM here... Hopefully I can sleep on the plane. 

Sorry this email is so short, I thought a lot happened this week so it would be longer.  Anyway, I love you all!!! 

http://ldsellerstahiti.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Tahitian is a Polynesian language much like Tongan.
    I'm so impressed that you're learning two languages at the same time that must be really really hard
    Good luck from Grandma and Grandpa Jensen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment