7/31/17 Huahine Week 7 - Mango Mania, 1st Zone Conference, Teaching Marilene, Bicycles,

Iorana tatou!
"My Living Room Wall that I Love" - Lindsay
Raking Mangos and Climbing Trees
Apparently I've been spelling that wrong this whole time. I feel like my whole life is a lie. So this week was kind of uneventful... JK, there's no such thing as uneventful in Huahine! So something that I'm coming to realize is when Soeur Wissocq wants something, she does everything in her power to get it. It's served her well in her life, straight A's, very popular, ect. It has a downside though, and I will demonstrate this in a story that definitely happened this week. It was a Tuesday night like any other. We were coming to the close of our English class when all of the sudden a tree full of unripe mangos caught Soeur Wissocq's eye. Ok, long story short after English class we were throwing rakes into this tree to get mangos down while members tried to climb it. It's moments like this where I wish my mission life was a TV show because most days I feel like I'm in "The Office" or something. Picture this: two Mormon missionaries throwing rakes and standing on wheelbarrows trying to get a bunch of unripe mangos while members were laughing at us. I may or may not have even attempted to climb that tree in a skirt. True story.

Zone Conference over the Internet
This week we had a zone conference! It was over something like Skype because it was in Tahiti, but it was still pretty great! The only downside was that it was six hours long. Allow me to let that sink in... It was six hours long. I had no idea it was possible to have meetings go that long, but I guess we have one every transfer. I think we would have starved to death if it weren't for the kindness of the members. There is a family here who owns a snack shop and they charge everyone except the missionaries. How nice is that??? We ran over during a lunch break, grabbed some food, and ran back. I don't think I'll ever get over how kind everyone is here.

Marilene and the Same Chapter Miracle My favorite scripture right now is Ether 12:27 and I'm praying everyday that I will be made strong! ;) We had a really good lesson with Marilene where she shared that her favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon was the chapter that I had read that morning, so I was able to testify and remember little details about it. That was cool. The spirit works in strange ways! A lot of people have French names that they go by, but also Tahitian names that mean something. It's kind of like Native American names. Some of the names I've heard are 'calm waters' and 'rising of a king' 
Another Beautiful View
The Car Takes a Trip Across the Ocean
I have some bad news. Something very near and dear to my heart will not be with us much longer. They're shipping the car that I have come to love to Tahiti for repairs (not because of the accidents I have caused, thank heavens!), and we will not get it back for 12 weeks or so. You might be thinking "That's not that big of a deal, you're on a small Island, how hard can it be to bike everywhere?" to which I say: poor, ignorant souls. Just kidding, it's not that big of a deal if you thought that because I thought that too. And then I started paying attention to how far away everything was and how many investigators live in the mountains where we can barely get up there in a car. I'll let you know how it goes. If I survive.

Giving a Talk and Singing
I gave another talk this week! Every 6 weeks or so they have a missionary program where the missionaries speak and we have recent converts bear their testimonies. I think it went really well!  Soeur Wissocq and I sang a duet which was kind of cool. I sang a verse in English, she sang a verse in Spanish, and then we sang a verse in French together. She is an amazing singer... Holy cow!
My Trainer, Sister Wissocq, and I
Soeur Wissocq
So I don't talk about Soeur Wissocq a lot so I'm going to give you a little sample of what she's like. She is sooo funny. It's not uncommon for us to laugh so hard we cry. My favorite mistranslation so far is "God called you to be a cow." Her English is really good, but there are some things that she mixes up sometimes. Like the word for kitchen and chicken. No matter how many times I correct her it's always, "Can you put this spoon back in the chicken?" She loves to look nice which makes me laugh because we're serving in a mission where you can look like hobos. I have woken up from a nap on P-days multiple times to find her painting her nails or soaking her feet. Best of all she loves people. She loves the members in the ward and because of it they love her back!

Anyway, that was my week! I love you all and hope everything is going well in all of your lives! God loves you so so much!

Soeur Sellers

p.s.  I need to pay for my bike, will my debit card work here, or does the bank not know that I am in Tahiti? Merci!

ldsellerstahiti.blogspot.com






Comments

  1. I love reading these blog posts. What a great missionary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment