7/3/17 Huahine - Week 3 Eating Tupas, Giovanni's Baptism, Heiva and Boat Races

Iorana!

Winter In Fare on Huahine
By Our House
This week has been crazy awesome! It started out fairly rough because (surprise) I got sick again. It wasn't that bad, but it's already tough trying to speak French with a non-stuffy nose. ;)It's winter right now. I think I'm going to cry when summer comes in October/ November. We leave the windows open at night and have a ceiling fan so it's never too hot to sleep.I live in Fare, super close to the airport. We cover this island and have to cross a bridge to get to the elders' area. Sister Wissocq and I cover one ward. There are only two wards here, and the other ward meets where the elders are. Our church is 9:00. Fast and testimony meeting is similar to ours in the States. 

Polynesian Delicacies in Backyard

Bananas
So every week we have a district meeting with the Elders and switch who brings food every time. They brought in tupas (crabs) that they had caught from their yard and we ate that.  It was actually really good! Speaking of strange things I've eaten this week, I was given a whole fish that had been cooked and was happily eating it (fish is so good here it's crazy) when my companion reaches over AND EATS THE EYE OF MY FISH. What the heck??? I knew people like to eat them here, but I thought I was going to throw up. Maybe by the end of my mission I'll be able to eat that, but right now I'm too weak. :(

Blonde Hair and the Lawrence Family
We had a cool opportunity this week! We had a Soeur who has been home from her mission for a couple months come back and visit with her family! It was so funny and humbling seeing the natives interact with these Americans who don't speak a lick of French. It was also funny seeing the kids see a blonde person for the first time. They have been calling me blonde for the past couple weeks because my hair isn't as dark, but now they know what actual blond hair looks like! Everyone here is so welcoming! They held a dinner in honor of Soeur Lawrence's family and most of the ward was there. It was so good to hear English again. I felt like I had been starving these past couple weeks and that night I had a feast for my ears! It was also good to hear my name from someone who can pronounce it. Here I'm known as Soeur Seller. ;)


Help with Teaching Law of Chastity

 We were really blessed this week. We have been worried about teaching Paul about the Law of Chastity because he can't hear, speak, or read. We would have to use hand motions and pictures and we weren't sure how we would go about doing that. Luckily, Soeur Wissocq was inspired to ask a member of the ward to come and teach with us and he knew exactly how to explain it to Paul! Beaucoup de Benedictions!

Giovanni's Baptism
And the highlight of my week... Giovanni's Baptism! It was kind of crazy because we didn't have a jumpsuit that wouldl fit right, so we cut up a white sheet I had brought with me and made a makeshift robe. Luckily we found something else the day of, because I'm not sure how well that would have worked. He was so glad that Soeur Lawrance could be there, because she was one of the first missionaries who had taught him. It really was a beautiful baptism and makes me excited for the baptisms we're having next week!

Heiva - A Month-Long Holiday
So here in French Polynesia they have a month long holiday called Heiva and it's been going on for the past couple days. We live pretty close to the Amphitheater where all of the music and dancing is held, so we hear music all day and late into the night. It's kind of cool to be sitting out in the dark looking at the stars while all you can hear is drums. 
 This morning we went and saw the Va'a, or boat races. I don't know how people are able to go so fast and far! I guess they just have superior arm muscles. 
Sister Muhpahi


The Relief Society President Sister Muhpahi also participated in races.



Anyway, that's my week! I love you all and think about you all the time! Remember that God loves you and this sister in Tahiti loves you!

Souer Sellers

Comments

  1. Questions:
    Are you speaking mainly in French or Tahitian?
    What do they call Caucasians? In Tonga it's palangi. In Hawaii it's haole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't eat a fish eye either don't feel bad but where is your companion from? She looks like she could be from Tahiti or Polynesia.....karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Amy here:) Sister Wissocq is from France, but originally from Venezuela. Her French is fabulous!

      Delete

Post a Comment