8/21/17 Huahine Week 10 - Spiders, Machetes, Trials in Perspective


Frere Mapuhi and Daughter, complete with Back Brace and Machete
Iorana!!!
Frere Mapuhi and a P-day Like No Other
So I was prepared to write an email just about how Tahiti is different because I didn't have anything super exciting to write about this week, but life can change very quickly. I now have something to write about!!! So I had probably my biggest adventure yet today, so buckle up and keep your hands and feet inside of the ride at all times. So it all started on Sunday after church. Frere Mapuhi came and asked us what we were planning on doing for our P-day. When we responded that we didn't have anything going on except emailing he asked if we wanted to go on a hike with his family and "Talk to God on the mountain," Obviously we were intrigued, so we quickly agreed. We knew we were in for a big treat when we showed up at his house this morning and he was equipped with a back brace, machete, a Little Mermaid backpack, and his trusted dog named "Doogie".

So we followed him to where we thought the trail started and he proceeds to start making a "trail" just in the middle of the jungle. Long story short we follow him and his daughter and son-in-law all the way up to the top of the lady of Huahine's chin and almost died multiple times. Jk, I only fell down the mountain twice. But that's not the best part! The view was amazing and I had no regrets! Keyword: Had! Then we started walking down and while I didn't fall down, I did almost get impaled by a machete, find a giant spider on my arm, and drank out of a random coconut. Ok, that last one wasn't traumatizing, and I really enjoyed that coconut. The story about the machete is that Frere Mapuhi was sliding down the mountain and slid into me, all while holding his machete that almost took my arm right off. Good thing the Lord watches out for his missionaries!!! I know I'm making it sound awful, but in hindsight it really wasn't that bad... But I did want to die while it was happening because it felt like we were just wandering around the spider infested jungle for years. It was only four hours. ;) Afterwards his family treated us to some BBQ, so it was all worth it!!! 

Soeur Miller and Raw Coconuts
Investigators and Sister Miller
Other than that this week has been super normal! We did pick up a few old investigators because they're back from vacation now that school has started. We are teaching a lot of kids now which makes me really happy because I love teaching kids, but really nervous because children don't understand me as well as adults. ;) Good thing I have a companion who is superwoman when it comes to French! A little more about Soeur Miller: She is the sassiest and most sarcastic person ever. I love her so much! And her driving has improved a lot, so I think we'll make it through the next 6 weeks.
Another View of the Hike to the Top

Trials in Perspective
Anyway, my time is super short today because that hike took a lot of time out of our day, but I just wanted to tell you that God loves you so so much! I was reading a book that briefly explained the plan of salvation (The plan God created so we can return to him) and the truthfulness of the fact that God wants us back just really stood out to me. Just because we have trials sometimes in life doesn't mean God doesn't love us or that he's forgotten about us, he just wants to give us opportunities to grow! Growing pains hurt, but in the end I know we'll look back and be grateful for all of the pain we went through. 

Love you all!!!

P.S. Some asked...We hardly ever speak Tahitian, the most we hear tahitian is at church. Ward activities are great, still am afraid for my life when I play basketball, but I'm still here!!! We normally end up eating about once a day with members, but it's always sooooooo much food. Our investigators are great!



Comments

Post a Comment