8/7/17 Huahine Week 8 - Sacred Eels, Bad Cuts, Upcoming Baptisms

Bonjour Tout le Monde!
What I Must Look Like Looking for Worksheets for English Class
Keeping the Car, Sacred Eels, and Bad Cuts
I know you're sick of hearing this, but this week was another amazing week! We actually didn't have to give up the car!!! I guess President Fox heard about our plight, remembered how large our area was, and took pity on us. Thank heavens because we had our Zone leaders come and visit us! Because they were here, we did a couple touristy things with them. We bought some canned mackerel and fed these gigantic eels that are longer than my arm! They're called "Sacred Eels" and we drew quite a crowd of tourists and native kids by feeding them. I don't have any pictures because I cut my hand on the can pretty bad (I know, classic Soeur Sellers) and I didn't want to get blood everywhere. Sorry! Afterwards we took them to a couple beaches with great views, but were thwarted in our plans of a scenic view by a couple of "inappropriately dressed" swimmers. Gotta love Huahine.

Heavenly Raw Fish Dish and Delicious Food
If any of you can find the meaning of "I cracker olive"
that is on the side of our cracker box,
I would be most grateful.
On a better note I had the best meal of my life yesterday. It's raw fish, tomato, cucumber, vinegar, and coconut milk all mixed together to make heaven. It sounds really strange, but it was honestly the best thing of my life. Also, aside from the amazing Coconut bread they have here, I've found another favorite dish! It's like a homemade scone, filled with chopped peanuts. It's sooooooo good and Giovanni has been making us some every Sunday because he knows we're addicted. I say we, but everyone knows it's me who's addicted. ;) I love the people here!!!


Where's My Companion When She's Needed?
So yesterday was Fast and Testimony meeting and I bore my testimony. I can't remember if I told y'all about the guy I met on the plane here from Tahiti, but I guess he decided to come to church yesterday. He's an excommunicated member (because he doesn't believe Thomas S. Monson is a prophet and believes that plural marriage is still a thing) and I was able to talk to him a little on the plane because he speaks English. Anyway, he came up to me afterwards and tells me I'm sent from God and that it takes someone very special to make him cry by bearing testimony. He then proceeds to sarcastically rant about how I must be one of the "chosen ones" to be saved because I am "already practically an angel," and clearly "one with God." I was honestly in a state of shock... and Soeur Wissocq was already out of the chapel because despite being small she walks super fast, so I had no idea what to say. Luckily she came to my rescue and we were able to teach him a little bit about how as missionaries we have to be like angels to others. He didn't seem too satisfied with that, but hopefully it's something that will help him want to come back to church!  

Jean, Eugene, and Hoarai and Upcoming Baptisms
Anyway, we have a couple fixed Baptisms!!! Jean and Eugene are two boys who are being adopted by some members and they love the church! They've been learning the Articles of Faith and are some really smart boys! We have their baptism marked for the 19th of August and hope everything works out! Hoarai is also progressing really well. He still isn't sure when he wants to be baptized, but he knows he wants to, and that's a big step!

Passing the Test and Words to Live By
Favorite Picture Spot in front of the House
Sorry I don't have any stories about mangos or car accidents, I hope giant eels and other stories make up for that. ;) As I hope you can see, everything is going very well here in Huahine! Soeur Wissocq told me yesterday that I am officially a missionary and that she's proud of me, so I'm pretty much walking on air here. As some of you know I was really struggling talking to people and everything like that, but I've improved so much! I feel like I can finally be a useful tool in the hand of the Lord and that's honestly the biggest blessing! I was reading some of general conference this week, and I found a quote by Gary B. Sabin that I really liked. It's short and sweet, he says: "No one has sinned tomorrow," and I know that's true! The beauty of life is that we get to change and repent. None of us is forced to be the person we were yesterday. I already feel like I've changed so much! All we have to do is realize that we don't want to be the same person and allow Christ to change us.

Anyway, I love you all! Have an amazing week!

ldsellerstahiti.blogspot.com

Comments