2/5/18 Papeete Week 2 - Chickens at McDonald's, The Gospel Changes Lives

Iaorana tatou!

A Strange Fruit at Dinner, Almost Like Grapes (We found these at Sprouts in Denver; can't remember the name)
Last Monday I got shipped from the islands to a slightly bigger island (Tahiti) and it is like night and day here. First of all no one spoke in tahitian during testimony meeting. I bore my testimony and said "Iaorana Tatou" like the true Tahitian I am and I kid you not people came up to me and were so proud of the two tahitian words I pronounced correctly. It was actually kinda funny. Something else that's also really different is driving. All I need to say is that there are way too many roundabouts and random speed bumps. And I almost hit a pedestrian, but there were no casualties this week. 
American Food to the Rescue
Soeur Sellers mentioned McDonald's in the last post. Here is her picture of a "mobile" McNugget! Truly thought-provoking!
Inside McDonald's - Bonding with Your Food
 Guess who got to go to the temple for the first time in 7 months??? This sister missionary! It was so perfect. It was kinda weird because it was in French, but ca va. Something that was also different is some temple workers got so excited to see the missionaries that one lady just ran up and hugged us and kissed our foreheads. Not something I'm used to in the temple. 
The Tahitian Temple
Holiness to the Lord, House of the Lord in French
Holiness to the Lord, House of the Lord in Tahitian

Ok. For amis here we have a lot of potential people. We actually had 3 fixed baptisms when I got here (which has since gone down to 1, but I'll explain later) and several potentials. I know I shouldn't pick favorites, but we have two amis named  L_ and T_ who are literally angels. Every time we go (ok, i've only been twice) it is such a spiritual experience. Once he was talking about how before he found the church he was a drunk who would beat his wife. When he mentioned that he hit his wife a lot before, he started tearing up and even had to leave the room. This is one of the many reasons I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. It transforms people into people they had no idea they were capable of becoming. 

On to the next family T_! The mom is so ready to be baptized and so is the daughter, but at this point the son doesn't want to and the father has a hard time believing in God. But he believes in Jesus Christ, so I'm not sure what the problem is there. Anyway, we had the baptism fixed for the 17th but because the son didn't want to get baptized that early the mom asked us to restart the lessons and maybe by the time we finish them again he'll be ready. (*Names have been changed)

This Sunday was crazy. So SÅ“ur Bready has only been here for six weeks before I got here and it has been so hard to find places. I can't imagine being here for only six weeks and then having to show this sector because the roads make no sense. I have no idea how she knows as much as she does because most of the time I don't know where I am. Because we don't know where we're going a ward missionary offered to show us around and to see where everyone lives. I was expecting it to take like an hour... or maybe a hour and a half. Three hours later we show up to the church about to throw up because of the crazy mountain roads. Our sector is really big, and it's right on the mountain. I'll have to send some pictures of last week because I actually thought I was going to die and I wasn't even driving. 
With Soeuer Braedy
We had conseil de paroisse (ward council--a planning meeting at church with the auxiliary leaders) this week and it was interesting! We were only there for a couple minutes, but it was still super good. Tahitians are so funny and when they get excited or mad or anything they yell. That's pretty much how our conseil de paroisse went. Everybody was just yelling at us and I'm still not sure if they were mad at us or just excited for us. Sometimes it's a little hard to tell the difference. 

Anyway, that was my week! Have a great week and I love you all!
The View from Our Apartment on Our Daily Jog


ldsellerstahiti.blogspot.com

Comments